Thursday, October 20, 2011

Crolla: Until I hear something different, Limond is next


British champion ready to defend in Scotland

After weeks of speculation about British lightweight champion Anthony Crolla securing a potential WBC title challenge against 140lb champion Erik Morales in December, the Mancunian has now confirmed that he will travel to Scotland next month and face mandatory challenger Willie Limond.

The 24 year-old, who fought an eight-rounder in Las Vegas last month after a bout with Morales fell through, had once again been linked for a fight against the Mexican legend in Tijuana but will now step up preparations to meet the Scot on his home soil after the world title fight failed to materialize for a second time.

"There are plenty of rumours out there but I have been told I am fighting at Ravenscraig next month,” Crolla told The Daily Record.

"If that is not approved it will be at Bellahouston but the fact is I am defending in Scotland in November and haven't heard anything else that tells me I won't be fighting Willie.

"I have to train really hard and be professional because I know if I don't take this fight seriously and start thinking about something else then I will be a goner."

Limond, 32, has himself shared the ring with Morales after managing six rounds with ‘El Terrible’ in September 2009 and has only fought once since, a six-round victory over journeyman Arek Malek.

The Glaswegian’s credentials grant him respect though as a former British, European and Commonwealth super-featherweight champion.

Limond also a brief spell as WBU belt holder at 135lbs in 2009 and has gone eight rounds with Amir Khan and Alex Arthur in his only other defeats in his 37 contests.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

free counters
Free counters
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Design Blog, Make Online Money